Terms & Conditions
Down load car rental agreement
This is an agreement made between the Operator and the Hirer. The Operator and the Hirer agree as follows:
The hirer must not:
- Sublet or hire the vehicle to any other person;
- Allow the vehicle to be operated outside his or her authority;
- Operate the vehicle, or allow it to be operated, in circumstances that constitute an offence against the Land Transport Act 1998.
- Operate the vehicle or allow it to be operated in breach of the Land Transport Act 1998, the Transport Act 1962, Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004, or any other Act, regulations, rules, or bylaws relating to road traffic;
- Operate the vehicle or allow it to be operated for the transport of more than the number of passengers or more than the gross vehicle mass specified in the certificate of loading for the vehicle;
- Drive or allow the vehicle to be driven by any person, if at the time of driving, the driver is not the holder of a current full (non-probationary) driver licence appropriate for the vehicle.
The hirer shall ensure that:
- All reasonable care is taken when driving and parking the vehicle;
- The vehicle is locked and secure at all times when it is not in use;
- No person interferes with any part of the engine, transmission, braking or suspension systems;
- No person smokes inside the vehicle
If any warning light is activated or if the vehicle requires mechanical attention the driver must stop driving and contact either The Owner 09 429 0915
The hirer shall not arrange or undertake any repairs or salvage without The Owner’s prior authority except to the extent that repairs or salvage are necessary to prevent further damage to the vehicle or to other property. Repairs will be approved and reimbursement, where applicable, will be granted provided the hirer was not responsible for the damage. In all cases receipts must be submitted for any repair.
If the vehicle becomes unfit to drive due to a breakdown that was not the fault of the hirer, The Owner will refund to the hirer the rental charges that relate to the period during which the car could not be used. The Owner undertakes to arrange repair or replacement with another vehicle as soon as practicable.
In the event of an accident the hirer shall:
- Notify The Owner 09 429 0915 of the full circumstances as soon as practical;
- Notify the Great Barrier Police Station, 175 Hector Sanderson Rd, Great Barrier Island 0991 Phone:09-429 0343 if the accident involves injury;
- Record full details of all parties, witnesses to and vehicles involved in the accident;
- If possible, prepare a written statement of the facts signed by all parties. If agreement can not be reached, obtain a copy of the Police report.
In the event of an accident the hirer shall not:
- Make any admission of liability;
- Arrange or undertake any repairs or salvage without The Owner’s prior authority except to the extent that repairs or salvage are necessary to prevent further damage to the vehicle or to other property.
In the event that an accident renders the vehicle unfit to drive, The Owner will make no refund for the unused hire period and the provision of a replacement vehicle shall be at The Owner’s sole discretion. The Owner shall not be responsible for the cost of transporting the hirer and any accompanying passengers away from the accident location. In the event that The Owner decides to offer the hirer an alternative vehicle, the vehicle shall be made available at the closest branch, not delivered to the accident location. The Owner reserves the right to provide the replacement vehicle subject to an increased hirer’s liability and/or to decline to offer CDW cover for the replacement vehicle.
The indemnities above shall not apply where the damage, injury or loss arises when:
The driver of the vehicle is under the influence of alcohol or any drug that affects his or her ability to drive the vehicle;
- The vehicle is in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition that arose during the course of the hire and that caused or contributed to the damage or loss, and the hirer or driver was aware or ought to have been aware of the unsafe or unroadworthy condition of the vehicle
- The vehicle is driven by any person not named in the agreement;
- The vehicle including its accessories and spare parts is wilfully or recklessly damaged by the hirer or any other person named in the agreement or driving the vehicle under the authority of the hirer, or is lost as a result of wilful or reckless behaviour of the hirer or any such person;
- The vehicle including its accessories and spare parts is damaged as a result of submersion in water, including crossing creeks, rivers or flooded fords.
- The vehicle is operated outside the term of the hire.
- (The vehicle including its accessories and spare parts is damaged by any item carried inside or outside the vehicle, such as a surfboard or bicycle.
The hirer’s liability for cleaning charges
If the vehicle is returned in an excessively dirty condition that requires extraordinary cleaning or de-odorising, the hirer is absolutely liable for the full cost of this cleaning or repair and any consequent loss of use of the vehicle.
Such charges include but are not limited to cleaning of:
- Spillage of fluids such as drinks, milk, oil, paint, etc.;
- Perishable food;
- Removal of hair, stains and odours due to animals in the vehicle;
- Fish and associated smells;
- Cigarette/cigar smoke smells.
Petrol and other fuel
The hirer is responsible for the cost of fuel used during the hire
Return of the vehicle and termination of the hire
The hirer shall, at or before the expiry of the term of hire, return the vehicle (including car keys) to the location specified in
the agreement, or obtain The Owner’s consent to the continuation of the hire. Changes to the return date and time and/or return branch are subject to vehicle availability and may not always be possible.
If the vehicle is returned to a different location, the Owner’s prior consent an additional fee may be charged at The Owner’s sole discretion.
The Owner shall have the right to terminate the agreement and repossess the vehicle (and for that purpose enter any premises and remove the vehicle) at any time, without notification to the hirer, and the hirer will pay reasonable costs of repossessing the vehicle, including towing charges, in any of the following circumstances:
- The hirer is in breach of any material term of this agreement;
- The hirer has obtained the vehicle through fraud or misrepresentation;
- The payment for the rental is in arrears;
- The vehicle appears to be abandoned;
- The vehicle is not returned on the agreed return date;
- The vehicle is damaged;
- The Owner considers, on reasonable grounds, that the vehicle is endangered.
All transactions under this agreement are conducted in New Zealand dollars. Due to exchange rate fluctuations and bank charges there may be variance between amounts charged and amounts refunded to the hirer’s credit card.
The Owner accepts no liability for any such variations.
Personal injury, personal property and storage of property
The Owner strongly recommends that all people travelling in New Zealand / Great Barrier Island take out Personal Travel Insurance. The Owner does not accept any liability for:
- Personal injuries sustained during the rental;
- Damage or loss of the hirer’s personal property;
- Property belonging to any other person which is carried in the vehicle.
Rental vehicle and third party insurance is included in our rates and is subject to a deductible (Excess) $3200 for drivers 21 years of age and over. This can be reduced to $1200.00 for an additional $17.00 per day or to zero for an additional $22.00 per day.
New Zealand law requires that all drivers be 21 years old or over and produce a valid New Zealand, International or overseas licence. We accept US, Australian, Canadian, English and European Licences.
Goods and Services Tax (GST)
- Our rates include 15% GST
- Our rates include unlimited kilometres (mileage).
One Way Hires
- Vehicles may be hired from Port Fitzroy and Okiwi Airstrip at no additional charge.additional charge .should you need to return the vechicle to another departure site then a there will be relocation costs back to Fitzroy..
24hr Roadside Service
- 24 hour Toll Free Telephone Number 09 4290 915for all breakdown and emergency situations.